Seniors can work at any of the agencies from the freshman, sophomore or junior approved lists or at any non-profit agency.
Hours & Deadlines
Seniors must complete 30 hours of service and a 3-5 page reflection paper between May 1, 2022 and March 29, 2023. Half of those hours, i.e., 15 hours, are to be turned in by December 7, 2023. Students are encouraged to complete the 30 hours at single agency to deepen the service experience. Students who neglect to complete and submit half of their service requirement in December will be ineligible to participate in second semester immersion trips. Any senior who fails to meet the entire requirement on time will receive a Saturday JUG, will not be allowed to attend the Senior Ball, will not receive a diploma at graduation and will receive a “no credit” on his final transcript. NOTE: Students may not engage in service during school hours. All service hours must be completed outside of school hours: after school, in the evening, on the weekends, or during school breaks.
The Christian Service Requirement is not complete until the reflection paper has been written, logged, and submitted on x2VOL and uploaded to Canvas. This paper should only be submitted after all CSP hours have been completed.
The Reflection Paper must be at least THREE FULL PAGES and 1100 words in length, TYPED and double spaced. The maximum font size is 12 pt. 'Times New Roman' and MARGINS (top, bottom, right and left) MUST NOT EXCEED ONE INCH. Please use PROMPTS 1 – 6 and 7 or 8 when writing your paper. Do not list these prompts on your paper.
- Identify your placement and describe what you did. If you worked at more than one placement, pick the one that was most significant for you. What did you like most / least? What skills (e.g. patience, compassion, etc.) were required of you in working at your placement? Would you recommend it to others?
- Describe your feelings towards the clients, both before you began and after you finished your service. What do you share in common with the clients that you served?
- Did you have any preconceived notions of the population you served? What did you learn about them?
- What did you learn about yourself?
- Explain your reasons for feeling that you successfully or unsuccessfully fulfilled your community service.
- How has Bellarmine (programs, teachers, classes) contributed to your understanding of community service?
- Assume your work at this agency has ended. Write a note/letter of advice to a Bellarmine student who will replace you.
- How has your service work changed you? How has it affected your view of and/or connection to others; your outlook in serving others; your short term and/or long term commitment to engaging in service?
CSP hours must be verified before they will be approved. This verification can take place electronically or via a CSP time card. NOTE: Student service hours may not be verified by family members or relatives.
Electronic Verification will be accepted if the agency is on the CSP approved list of agencies or if the supervisor has a .org, .gov, or .edu e-mail address (e.g., email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com). Please do the following:
- Make sure the supervisor and/or agency agrees to verify your hours electronically.
- Tell the supervisor that you will log hours into x2VOL on the day of your service and that they will receive an e-mail from x2VOL. Make sure to get the supervisor's e-mail address.
- When you log your hours into x2VOL, make sure to enter the supervisor’s e-mail address.
- Ask the supervisor to reply to the x2VOL query within 24 hours.
- A maximum of 10 hours of service credit can be received in a single day.
- If all of the above steps are followed, you will not need to submit a CSP time card.
CSP Time Cards must be completed in INK and signed off by an adult supervisor at the agency who is not related to the Bellarmine student. Students are asked to use the yellow time cards to confirm these hours. Extra time cards may be picked up in the CSP office or downloaded online. If a student does not have a CSP time card, he may ask the supervisor at the agency to give him a letter on agency letterhead or he may make a copy of their sign-in sheet. NOTE: A maximum of 10 hours of service credit can be received in a single day.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mohandas Gandhi