Through the generosity of our students, parents, faculty and staff, the Bellarmine Winter Warmth Drive yielded two truck loads of blankets and cold weather clothing for HomeFirst and Sacred Heart Community Service.
We collected over 790 blankets and throws, far surpassing our goal of 500!
The drive was truly a community effort, with several on-campus groups holding special collections. Those included:
- the Big Brothers and freshman homerooms collected 1465 pair of new socks and 133 beanies
- the freshman and varsity football teams donated over 100 blankets
- the ice hockey teams donated over 125 umbrellas to provide protection from the El Niño rains expected this winter
- the cross country team provided mounds of blankets, jackets and running shoes
- the classes of two teachers - Jenny Gotshall and president Chris Meyercord - were particularly prodigous in their donation of blankets to the cause
- a challenge between the "Jedi Knights of Warmth", led by Paul Spitzmueller, and the Office of Advancement yielded 50 blankets
- the Mothers' Guild gave generously via both donations and daily help in collecting and sorting
- the Dads' Club hosted a Winter Warmth Drive event which resulted in warm clothing and a $650 donation, providing new ponchos for hundreds of our unsheltered neighbors
We join our community partners - HomeFirst and Sacred Heart Community Service - in extending a heart-felt "thank you" for your incredible generosity.